Monday, February 16, 2009

Harper's Index online

I can tell that the spanking new Harper's Index online is going to make things a lot easier at the reference desk. In the incredibly popular Knowbodies series "tough reference questions," comes this one: a confrontational elderly gentleman of the "reference librarians aren't what they used to be" ilk interrupted my reference desk reveries last week with this question, "How many orphaned newborn puppies were successfully breastfed by Norwegian women in the fall of 2002?" As he stepped back and waited with a self-satisfied smile, I pretended wearily to be finishing up what I was working on...but in fact I was furiously searching the Harper's Index for "Norwegian" "Six" I snapped, before he'd had even a moment to gloat.  He was crestfallen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment