Wednesday, March 11, 2009

T.S. Spivet

A couple of months ago I posted about the "See the website, buy the book" phenomenon, as described by the New York Times. The Times article mentioned the imminent launch of a website for the much talked about debut novel of Norwegian-American author Reif Larsen, "The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet."  I was curious about the book and still am,  and the other day tried to find the website with search terms "Reif Larsen" and "The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet" (I am a trained librarian) - but no luck there. Finally, in frustration, I just entered www.tsspivet.com in the address bar - eureka! Perhaps playing hard to find is part of the marketing strategy...The website features that same eery background hum that momentarily suspended my laughter during Bergman's "Serpent's Egg" and Lynch's "Eraserhead," but it's graphically very clever; I particularly enjoyed the block and tackle device for hoisting the page to provide a scrolling effect - should become a Windows standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment